Saturday 18 March 2017

Final Lesson of the Season

Hello once more!

So the time in which my lessons will essentially be on hold until September has come. Yesterday was my final figure skating lessons before the current season at the arena ends and I have to say it has been an awesome (But short) journey! I didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I have. Nor did I expect to do as well as I did. I'm certainly no professional, but I definitely did better than I anticipated I would.

A big part of why my experience was so good is owed to the club and my coach. The club was super flexible in allowing me to join and I don't think I could have landed a better coach. I've been told that one of a students greatest strengths is their coach and their ability to teach skills to the student. I've grasped a lot more concepts than I expected to and I find her teaching style, much like my horseback riding coach. Really works with me. As many know, I'm more of a practical learner than a theoretical learner. So seeing it and then simply doing something is much easier for me to learn. So thank you to my coach, Lindsay for being great! Hopefully we can continue in the near future.

The club itself, has been great. While I had plenty of things to do in order to register and sign up. Once I got my foot in the door, they were all great. Going into something primarily done by kids, as an adult. Can be a bit of an intimidating experience. But the club has been from what I can tell, very accepting which I'm more than thankful for.

Skill-wise, from day one. I've learned a fair amount. I've got most of the basics down and my balance has significantly improved over all. From simply riding my edges to doing stuff like three turns and twizzles. It's been SO fun. I'm really making this sound like a goodbye aren't I? My bad. It's not. I intend to continue practicing and skating through the summer and then registering when the new season begins. Whether that is with the local skating club or otherwise.

I've mentioned before that I used to skate as a kid and the decision to get back into it has kind of bounced around the back of my head for the longest time and while anxiety held me back, I'm glad I decided to take the plunge. The experience overall is just not something I can put into words. It might seem silly to some people, but for someone like me it is significantly more special. Hopefully, it continues this way as it has improved several aspects of my own life. My balance while horseback riding I feel has improved because of it, my anxiety levels in crowds are definitely a little more settled. Time will tell!

So, I guess the next real step is where and how to practice and retain my skills through the summer? I know a fair amount of my skills can be translated to rollerblades which I have a good pair of. But I am hoping that I can find time at public and adult skates that run through the summer. I still have to inquire if Norwich still runs these through the summer or not. If not, then I'm sure other nearby cities will.

So, this concludes my lesson-based sections of my blog for now. With the season coming to a close my writing in here will likely slow down a bit. But I'll make entries whenever I have skating related stuff to post. I might even consider putting my horseback riding endeavors in here as well. I've enjoyed writing this so much more than I expected to.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Ciao for now!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment